Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Donkeys

Monday, representatives from the DNC stole our workspace. Well, they didn't steal it so much as mistakenly believe it was their own. How this happened is a mystery, considering that although we hadn't yet arrived at the tents, all our stuff was out. Stuff that wasn't written in English.

And yet...

The friendly DNC Press guy (I hesitate to use the word "officer" as I can't imagine him occupying a role of any real significance) walked up to me and introduced himself. Confused, he asked me if I was using one of the desks in our workspace. Equally confused, I told him that yes, that desk is ours. Then, he turned to a pile of boxes in the corner. Yep, those are ours too.

At this point, I don't think either of us were sure where this conversation was going.

"Was there something I can help you with?" I asked.

Then, it clicked. He sheepishly admitted that he and his colleague "were told" that our workspace was theirs.

The damage? They gave away one of our lamps to a reporter complaining about the light in the tents (which was quickly returned). They took two of our bottled waters (which were not returned). And, they turned on the TV.

All-in-all a perfect example of the DNC. Well-intentioned, good ideas, a little clueless.


No comments: